Have A Look

Monday, February 14, 2011

MY EXPERIENCE TEACHING ENGLISH LANGUAGE

 When I was first transferred to SM Tunku Bendahara in July 1983, I was given 20 periods of  English Language classes and 4 periods teaching Geography.I got problems teaching Geography,but somehow managed it because I did a lot of reading and homework before teaching. However, I hoped that I should not EXPECT  the UNEXPECTED here in my new school.

One day, It was time for me to teach students SEQUENCE CONNECTORS" in PROCESSES AND PROCEDURES. At first..I taught them the processes and procedures of cooking rice. I asked them WH questions..and they answered well.Then I asked them to rearrange the steps accordingly by putting in the sequence Connectors..Firstly,Secondly,Then,Next....... Everything went on as expected . Then, I asked them to go back and try to select one recipe of their own and do similar steps as they've done earlier.

The next day,they handed in their books to me while I taught them other activities. During my free time, I started marking some of their work. To my surprise, I came across one person who had written a unique recipe.. I had to think and think  to guess the meaning of it.........


It was written >>>>>UPSTREAM FRUIT. Then I continued reading....I spotted all the ingredients used. Then I realized that the recipe was OUR LOCAL CAKES called BAULU but the northern people called it BUAH HULU ( BUAH means FRUIT and HULU means UPSTREAM). She had done her good job by locating the meanings in her dictionary ,taking word by word...  


The next day,I called her front and asked about, and 100% true it was BUAH HULU ..............          ( THE UPSTREAM FRUIT)... I  told her not to translate our local food , instead...you should use open inverted commas" and close inverted commas " to highlight it so that people know that it is special and unique and they cannot find it elsewhere.....

No comments:

Post a Comment